If a couple can agree on how to divide their property, they can confirm their agreements in a written document called a “separation agreement.” If spouses can’t agree, a judge will decide how to divide their property at a permanent or final orders hearing.Another aspect to Colorado being a “no fault” state is that the court will divide all property in what is called equitable distribution without regard to marital misconduct. This means that even if one spouse has committed a serious offense like domestic violence, the court will not use financial orders to compensate for wrongs that occurred during the marriage.

The Colorado court will distribute the shared assets of a couple in a manner that considers all relevant factors, including the contribution of each spouse to the marital property, the economic circumstances of each spouse, and if children are involved. If there is property in another state, then a Colorado court doesn’t have the right to get involved unless both spouses give personal jurisdiction to Colorado