The Court must have personal jurisdiction over both parties in order to divide property, allocate debt, order maintenance and enter orders regarding children for parental responsibility, parenting time and support.  If the other spouse no longer resides in Colorado, the Court can obtain personal jurisdiction if the non-resident spouse files as a co-Petitioner, waives service, is served in Colorado or had maintained a matrimonial domicile in Colorado.  If the other spouse’s whereabouts are unknown and can’t be served,  service can be accomplished by publication.  There must be a showing of diligent efforts to serve the other party before the Court will approve publication.  In this case, the Court may only grant a decree of divorce and any other issues will be reserved until personal service can be accomplished.